€54,750 in funding announced for Dublin Fingal piers and harbours
Fine Gael TD for Dublin Fingal, Alan Farrell, has welcomed the news that €54,750 is to be allocated to Fingal County Council for piers and harbours under its ownership.
“Dublin Fingal piers and harbours are set to receive €54,750 from the Department of Agriculture and the Marine. This news, confirmed to me by my colleague Minister Michael Creed, is great news for the local communities in Balbriggan, Loughshinny, Rush and Skerries.
“This funding for piers and harbours in the North County will allow for maintenance and repair works in addition to supporting the ongoing development and enhancement of harbour facilities including some marine leisure developments.
“Piers and harbours to receive the funding are:
· €7,500 for Balbriggan Harbour for the installation of new access and egress ladders.
· €1,875 for Loughshinny Harbour to install two new access and egress ladders.
· €22,500 for Rush Harbour to lift and relay original stones on a section of the pier.
· €11,250 has also been allocated to Rush Harbour for the replacement of missing stones and repointing and stabilisation of other stones.
· A further €6,000 for Rush Harbour for the installation of two new access and egress ladders and the improvement of mooring points.
· €5,625 for Skerries Harbour to install four new access and egress ladders.
“This funding is essential for fishing communities in Dublin Fingal as it supports the ongoing development of fishing related activities.
“The funding can also be used for increasing participation in marine leisure, and augmenting measures to attract greater numbers of tourists. We know that tourism is crucial to the local economies of coastal communities and has been very important for job creation here in the North County.
“Fine Gael is committed to supporting coastal communities in Dublin Fingal where people’s livelihoods are so dependent on the sea. This means investing in infrastructure and so this funding for piers and harbours is a big part of that.”