Future transport options for Dublin Fingal open to public consultation
Fine Gael TD for Dublin Fingal, Alan Farrell has urged residents from Swords, and throughout Dublin Fingal, to engage with the public consultation announced by the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, Paschal Donohoe, today. Six project options have been shortlisted to serve the transport needs of Dublin North, including Swords and Dublin Airport.
“I am pleased that the future transport needs of Dublin Fingal are being prioritised by the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport. In 2011, we said we would review the Metro North concept in 2015 and this latest process shows that we are keeping that commitment.
“With Fingal being one of the fastest-growing regions in the State, and with employment levels in the area growing rapidly, the strain on transport infrastructure in Swords, and the North County, will significantly increase over the coming years. These factors will stimulate a level of travel in the region which cannot be fully catered for by current level of infrastructure.
“The six shortlisted options include two heavy rail options, a Luas option and a metro option, one bus rapid transport option and another alternative combining a DART link with a Luas line.
“It is my belief that the best option for the local area will be Metro North. I do not believe that a Bus Rapid Transport system, as outlined in the shortlist, would adequately cater for the increase in demand which North Dublin will experience over the medium to long term. On that basis, while it may be effective in the short term, I do not envisage it being a viable alternative to either Metro North, or another DART or Luas connection.
“I would urge people throughout Dublin Fingal to engage with the public consultation process which is open until January 19th. Further information on the proposed options is available on www.nationaltransport.ie.”
Note to Editors:
The six shortlisted options are:
- A DART link from Clongriffin to the airport and Swords.
- A DART link from the Maynooth Railway Line to the airport and Swords via a tunnel under Glasnevin.
- A Luas line from Cabra to the airport and Swords via a tunnel under Glasnevin.
- A metro proposal from St. Stephen’s Green to the Airport and Swords (Optimised Metro North).
- A combination of a number of proposed Bus Rapid Transport services.
- A combination of a DART link from Clongriffin to the airport and a Luas line from Cabra to Swords.