On September 14th, TD’s will return to Leinster House after the shortest summer recess in a generation. We will sit 50% longer than any Government over the past fourty years and have effected more change in one week in the area of political reform than the previous administration have attempted in 14 years.
This first phase of the Dáil Reform Programme, to take effect from September, will involve:
- The introduction of Topical Issue Debates to replace the current Adjournment Debates
- Extra Dáil sitting days – on the first Friday of every month – to provide time for TDs to introduce their own Bills
- Providing for Leaders Questions to be taken by the Tánaiste on Thursdays
- A procedure to allow Dáil Deputies raise issues regarding replies to Parliamentary Questions.
- The Dáil commencing earlier on Tuesdays at 2pm
- Reform of the Standing Order 32 procedures for raising urgent issues
- Establishing a time limit for the Order of Business
- Changes to Taoiseach’s PQs on Tuesdays and Wednesdays
- The current Adjournment Debates will be replaced by a new system to be titled Topical Issue Debate and taken earlier in the day.
- Friday Sittings for TDs to introduce their own legislation