Dublin Fingal TD and Oireachtas Education Committee Member, Alan Farrell, has said that the newly announced funding will benefit students across Fingal.
Deputy Farrell said, “Today (Monday 6th September), a total package of €38 million has been provided to higher education institutions in Ireland. This will have a positive impact for students across Ireland and across Fingal.”
“Under the devolved capital grant, DCU will receive €2,271,826, this grant will contribute towards projects across the higher education sector, such as:
- Minor works and equipment needs to support safe campus reopening
- Procurement of additional ICT devices – including laptops- to support disadvantaged students who have difficulty in accessing a suitable device for their studies.
- Investments in equipment and infrastructure that are required to support the creation of additional student places, given the exceptional circumstances facing the Leaving Cert class of 2021.
- General ICT and equipment-related upgrades.
- Health and safety works, and other building upgrades.
- Investments to support universal access.
- Energy efficiency and decarbonisation-related upgrades.
Deputy Farrell continued, “DCU plays a vital role for many Fingal students and I am committed to seeing the campus and services continue the positive developments that we have seen over recent years.”
Deputy Farrell added, “Today’s funding will ensure a safe return to campus for students and staff as well as improving the experience of students while attending university or higher education institutions.”